Stay on top of the most common and urgent issues in the critical care unit with Priorities in Critical Care Nursing, 8th Edition. Perfect for both practicing nurses and nursing students alike, this evidence-based text uses the latest, most authoritative research to help you identify patient priorities in order to safely and expertly manage patient care in high acuity, progressive, and critical care settings. As an "essentials" text, you can benefit from succinct coverage of all core critical care nursing topics ― including medication, patient safety, patient education, problem identification, and interprofessional collaborative management. You’ll learn how to integrate the technology of critical care with the physiological needs and psychosocial concerns of patients and families to provide the highest quality care. Additionally, this new edition places a unique focus on interprofessional patient problems to help you learn to speak a consistent language of patient problems and work successfully as part of an interprofessional team.
- Need-to-know content reflects today’s high acuity, progressive, and critical care environments!
- UNIQUE! Balanced coverage of technology and psychosocial concerns includes an emphasis on patient care priorities to help you provide the highest-quality nursing care.
- Consistent format features a Clinical Assessment and Diagnostic Procedures chapter followed by one or more Disorders and Therapeutic Management chapters for each content area.
- Strong QSEN focus incorporates Evidence-Based Practice boxes that employ the PICOT framework; Teamwork and Collaboration boxes that provide guidelines for effective handoffs, assessments, and communication between nurses and other hospital staff; and Patient Safety Alert boxes that highlight important guidelines and tips to ensure patient safety in critical care settings.
- Nursing management plans at the end of the book provide a complete care plan for every priority patient problem ― including outcome criteria, nursing interventions, and rationales.
- Additional learning aids include case studies, concept maps, Collaborative Management boxes, Patient Education boxes, Priority Medication boxes, and Cultural Competency boxes.
- NEW! Updated evidence-based content reflects the latest meta-analyses, systematic reviews, evidence-based guidelines, and national and international protocols.
- NEW! Enhanced multimedia resources include 15 links to sample skills from Elsevier Clinical Skills and 25 3D animations.
- NEW and UNIQUE! Focus on interprofessional patient problems helps you learn to speak a consistent interprofessional language of patient problems and learn to work successfully as a team.
- NEW and UNIQUE! Integration of (IPEC®) Core Competencies for Interprofessional Collaborative Practice incorporates the four IPEC Competencies ― Values/Ethics, Teams and Teamwork, Roles/Responsibilities, and Interprofessional Communication ― into textbook content and case studies.
- NEW! Thoroughly updated case studies reflect the current "flavor" of high-acuity, progressive, and critical care settings and now include questions specifically related to QSEN competencies.
- NEW! Additional content on post-ICU outcomes has been added to chapters as they relate to specific disorders.
- NEW! Updated information on sepsis guidelines has been added to Chapter 26.
- NEW! More concise boxes with new table row shading enhance the book's focus on need-to-know information and improve usability.